What is an Adult Day Program
A place for senior adults to connect with their community through socialization and participation in therapeutic recreational activities in a safe and supervised setting. We provide cognitive and physically stimulating activities, health monitoring, respite for family and caregivers and much more.
We promote independent living, health & wellness and community involvement.
Phone: 604-685-6491 (9:00am – 4:30pm / Tuesday through Friday)
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Address: 2110 W 12th Ave. Vancouver, B.C. V6K 2N2
Program Hours: 10:15am – 2:15pm Tuesday through Friday
Daily Program Fee: $10.00 includes morning coffee and snack as well as lunch and recreational programs.
- respite for families and caregivers
- arrangement of transportation to and from participants homes via HandyDART
- health monitoring and wellness
- medication supervision
- social, physical and therapeutic recreational programs
- exercise programs – focusing on strength and balance (Based on the SteadyFeet model)
- client and caregiver support – community resource information and referrals
- physical, mental, emotional and social stimulation
- coffee/tea and snack upon arrival
- a nutritious hot lunch cooked on site – dietary needs are observed
- connection with the community
(this space would be used to attach a link for the monthly program calendar)
How to Join
You may join by calling 604-685-6491 (New Roots)
Generally, members are referred through the Vancouver Coastal Health Authority by their Case Manager.
Ph: 604-331-8900 – Press 2 – Then Press 1.
However, you may also join by calling New Roots directly and we will assist you with the referral process.
- Health and Safety Information Sessions Chair Exercises
- Balance & Strengthening Exercises
- Discussion Groups: Reminiscing, Storytelling, Poetry, Laugh In, Arm-Chair Traveler, Play Writers
- Cognitive Games – Jeopardy, Scrabble, Large Group Crossword, and a variety of Brain Teasers (Hangman, Categories, Word Creation etc.)
- Physical Games – Shuffleboard, Bowling, Dice Game, Walking Program, Chair Volleyball
- Entertainment Sessions: Variety of local and in-house entertainers, Dancing, Karaoke, Sing-a-longs, Name that Tune
- Bingo – Regular and theme Brain Teaser Bingos
- Cards & Games Arts & Crafts
- Special Events: New Roots Christmas Celebration, Summer Step Outs, Intergenerational programs, New Roots Themed Circuits Manicures /Foot Care
- Community Outings: Local Beaches and Parks, Picnics
Goals and Objectives:
To provide respite and support for caregivers To promote and support wellness, good health and safety To encourage independence and promote a healthy lifestyle To provide individualized programs through care plans To arrange transportation To re-stimulate individual interests To link participants with his/her community through outings and activities To provide a supervised, safe, positive, comfortable and fun environment
New Roots Is
A registered non-profit society governed by a volunteer Board and was incorporated in 1977 as The West End Adult Day Care Centre Society.
New Roots is funded in part by the Vancouver Coastal Health Authority. It is necessary to raise funds from the private sector to augment funding in the areas of transportation, program materials, entertainment and general operating costs. All donations are greatly appreciated.
The West End Adult Day Care Centre Society is funded in part by the Vancouver Coastal Health Authority. It is necessary to raise funds from the private sector each year to augment funding in the areas of transportation subsidization, program enrichment, entertainment and general operating costs. Donations are much needed and greatly appreciated. We thank you in advance for your generosity and kind consideration in supporting our senior’s services in the community.
Please make cheques payable to: The West End ADC Centre Society.
Please mail to: 2110 W 12th Ave. Vancouver, B.C. V6K 2N2
Donations (insert link for direct deposit)
New Roots is guided by the philosophy that people wish to live independently in their own homes with the support and assistance of community resources.
Participants and their families are encouraged to contribute to the development of a care plan tailored to the specific needs and interests of the participant.
We support senior adults to maintain a healthy independent lifestyle, increase overall quality of life and encourage active participation in their community.
The West End Adult Day Care Centre (New Roots) is a non-profit society serving seniors in the West End, Downtown, Coal Harbour, Yaletown, False Creek, Fairview Slopes, Arbutus Walk and the West Side areas of Vancouver.
How to Volunteer:
Call 604 – 685 – 6491 (New Roots)
Volunteers are always needed to assist in the program generally between 10:00 am and 2:30 pm, Tuesday through Friday.
General Volunteer Duties:
- Assist with recreation activities such as bingo, shuffleboard, cards & games, out trips, picnics, walks, reading, writing letters
- Assist with setting tables, serving tea/coffee, lunch
- If you have special skills/talents to share such as music skills the seniors would be thrilled.
Volunteers are an essential part of the New Roots program and are greatly appreciated.
” It’s nice the things we do, the games we play and when we go out for lunch. “
” I like coming to New Roots to see my buddy, he understands me, he’s always positive. “
” It gets me out meeting different people. ” ” It always gives me a laugh.”
” If I didn’t come to New Roots I’d be lost, I have no one to talk to, it’s wonderful coming here. “
“Since my Mom started New Roots there’s been a huge difference in her liveliness, conversation, awareness and brightness. I can actually have a conversation with her now. It’s the best thing that’s ever happened to her. The Doctor says there is an amazing improvement in her since she’s started New Roots.”
“You are possibly the kindest, sweetest people with the most generosity of spirit we have ever encountered. (participant) adores you. You give him a reason to live! For some unexplainable reason, our kids thought you would be much older. Were they surprised!!! No wonder Dad loves New Roots – that devil!! (they said). Now the guys all want to get old and be with you each week. THANK YOU!”
” I wanted to let you know how much [my mother] has improved as a result of these visits to New Roots and what a world of good it’s done for her. I can’t thank you enough for providing such a service, we’re very grateful. We appreciate all you’ve done; it’s just been absolutely marvelous.”
Thank You Card:
” Thank you for the patience & kind attention you all have shown to my mother over the past 2 years I know she enjoys New Roots and the lovely social atmosphere you’ve created. I also know full well the difficult and challenging behaviour that arises every so often. Somehow you all make everything right, recognizing its mothers’ disease speaking and not the person!! You are an enlightened lot for sure. “
“…what is truly remarkable is how you manage to accommodate each clients’ challenges & their unique needs & make it work seamlessly!! Congratulations!! I’m a huge admirer of your skills!! “
Vancouver Coastal Health Case Manager Comments:
– “Since (he) has started attending the ADC (he) is really happy and really alert…he is a changed person.”
– “You are doing an amazing job; the family is so happy.”
– “You may have literally saved their lives.”
– “You need to know that you and your staff are doing a wonderful job.”